Want to ask me a dental question? Email: Drnathanhaas@hotmail.com

I will post your questions with answers as I receive them.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Braces for teeth that are crooked

Q:

For as long as I can remember my teeth have been crooked and over the years they have seemed to become even worse. I am very unhappy with the look of my smile and thinking about straightening them. I want to do the best thing possible, what do you suggest for crooked teeth? Via email Thurs. August 5, 2010 from Emily.

A:

It is hard to answer your question on a whole since I have not examined your teeth in person, but I will provide some answers below which you may explore to see what is the best option for you.

The first choice is orthodontics (braces) as these will address the alignment of both your teeth and jaw, thus providing a more harmonious bite and long term aesthetics. Orthodontics are optimally done by an orthodontist who has many years of expertise/training with straightening teeth and ensuring it is done properly. The time span for orthodontics can vary from a short period of time (sometimes less than a year) to multiple years depending on the situation that presents upon examination and x-rays.

Another choice is veneers. Veneers are thin tooth coloured shells that are cemented onto the teeth. When teeth are out of alignment, crooked or have small spaces between them, custom made veneers may be permanently adhered to individual or groups of teeth to give the appearance of straight, evenly spaced teeth and smile. Veneers are not an option for everyone and prior to going with this choice the dentist should fully examine and assess whether veneers are a good long term option for your teeth, smile and aesthetics. Veneers do not last forever, the lifespan can be anywhere from 5-10 years and then they will need to be changed to new ones.

Regardless of which route you take to straighten your teeth, please see a qualified dentist to assess the right route to go.

Great question!
Nathan

2 comments:

  1. Wow. What a coincidence. I'm actually looking for an answer to a similar question. My teeth are crooked, too. I was hoping to find a good solution. Apparently, the best solution for me would be braces. I'll be looking like my friend (we all call him "metal mouth" because of his braces) soon. Anyway, at least I'm going to get a smile that I wanted to have. I've found a good Knoxville dentist. The next step would be going to their clinic. I've been in a search for dentists. Knoxville, TN, where my friend metal mouth lives, is where I found the right dentist for me. I'll be looking forward to that perfect smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Porcelain Veneers in Toronto are thin tooth coloured shells that are cemented onto the teeth. Custom made veneers may be permanently adhered to individual or groups of teeth to give the appearance of straight.

    ReplyDelete