Want to ask me a dental question? Email: Drnathanhaas@hotmail.com

I will post your questions with answers as I receive them.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sore on lip that is not healing

Q:

I have had a sore on my bottom lip for two months, the size stays about the same but over the last two months it has formed a scab a few times and then fallen off. When the scab falls off it seems to heal for a few days then it comes back again. I am concerned only because it never seems to heal and go away completely. I am 45 years old, a previous 1 pack a day smoker up until 4 years ago. Should I go see my dentist?
Via email Monday July 20, 2010 from Anthony

A:

Hello Anthony, sorry to hear about the sore on your lip. I urge you to see your dentist or physician as soon as possible to assess the lesion as any lesion within the oral cavity or the surrounding structures should heal and go away within two weeks maximum. The fact that you have been a smoker in the past puts you at higher risk for possible changes in your oral tissue due to the exposure to harmful chemicals within cigarettes.

Your dentist and physician should be made aware this has been occurring for two months and it has not went away, this will help them diagnose the lesion better. As well, they may also perform a biopsy to test the tissue to see what it is.

Good luck and if I can be of any assistance please do not hestitate to ask.

Regards,
Nathan Haas

1 comment: