Want to ask me a dental question? Email: Drnathanhaas@hotmail.com

I will post your questions with answers as I receive them.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Dry mouth due to medication's side effects

Q:

I have been on Celexa for over a year. About one month after I started this medication my mouth became very dry, upon reading the side effects for this medication it said that one of the possible side effects was dry mouth. I have found it has become worse during the year, so much at times that my tongue can stick to the top of my mouth and when I wake up in the morning my mouth is like a desert. If I continue on this medication long term, can  my body become used to it and will my mouth become less dry? I am unhappy with the side effect (this seems to be the only one so far) but it has helped tremendously in other aspects so I want to continue. (via email from Riley May 24, 2010).

A:

Thank you for your question Riley. The medication you are on is a SSRI, which is commonly used for people who have depression and anxiety. I am glad to hear it is helping you! A common side effect of SSRI's is decreased salivary flow/dry mouth.  I cannot tell you if this side effect will go away or not, as everyone's body responds differently to medication and I am not in a position as a dentist to answer that question.

What I can help you address is the dry mouth. Dry mouth and decreased salivary flow can put you at higher risk for developing dental cavities and possibly gingivitis/periodontitis. Salivary is important for it's ability to 'wash' the teeth. The liquid component of the saliva helps to rinse/wash the teeth of debris (food and bacteria) so they can be swallowed and not stuck on or in between the teeth. When food becomes stuck and it is not washed away then the potential for cavities to form is much higher. Saliva also has what is called amylase which is an enzyme which begins the process of digestion, specifically starches in the mouth. As well, saliva has the ability to buffer the oral cavity (decreasing the acidity level) to lower the risk of cavity formation.

Tips to help with dry mouth both to help your mouth feel better and prevent cavities

1. Drink water during the day (preferably water with fluoride in it as this will help keep the teeth strong).

2. Chew sugar-free gum after meals if you are not able to brush/floss, this will help mechanically remove food from the teeth and may increase salivary flow to help buffer the mouth).

3. Brush a minimum 3x day for 2 minutes with a fluoridated toothpaste to remove plaque from the teeth

4. Floss a minimum of 1x day to remove plaque from between the teeth

5. Use a fluoride mouthwash 1x day to help remineralize the teeth to prevent decay.

6. You can use a product called Biotene which are dental products specifically designed for those who have dry mouth, it can help stimulate saliva flow.

7. Use a humidifier at night to put moisture into the air that can be transferred to the oral cavity.

8. Use Sorbees sugar-free hard candies during the day to stimulate saliva flow. These candies were created for diabetics but they are also great for people who have dry mouth as they are sugar-free.

9. See your dentist and dental hygienist regularly for cleanings and check-ups to help prevent problems before they begin.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you.

Regards,

Nathan Haas

5 comments:

  1. Can the dry mouth also be a result of dehydration? If yes, can the remedies you've posted here be used to treat it? I know this post is from more than a year a go, but I hope you can come back soon to answer my query. Thanks in advance!

    Suzanne Steven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this post is a year old, but really...? What is the remedy for dehydration?! DRINKING WATER, DUH.

      Delete
  2. Great article about the dehydration and the remedies to treat a patient in such cases. Such dehydration can even effect on your dental health. You can get proper treatment of Cosmetic Dentist in Toronto. They provide you a quality treatment and give you a beautiful smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping the same best effort from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing skills has inspired me. screw in teeth

    ReplyDelete