Want to ask me a dental question? Email: Drnathanhaas@hotmail.com

I will post your questions with answers as I receive them.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

My doctor told me to see my dentist....

Q:

I recently visited my physician for an annual check-up and to have my blood sugar levels monitored as I am diabetic (this started in my late 40's). At my check-up my doctor asked me if I visit my dentist on a regular basis, I thought it was a funny question since my he doesn't usually ask about my mouth or teeth. He told me that being diabetic can affect my teeth, I am puzzled as I have never heard that before? Can you please let me know how being diabetic can affect my teeth and why I need to see a dentist as I don't have a problem with my teeth. I haven't seen a dentist in 2 years due to negligence on my part. via email Trevor on May 8, 2010

A:

Hello Trevor, thank you for a great question. As well, I applaude your physician for telling you to see the dentist as diabetes and periodontal disease have been directly interrelated and having one can put you at higher risk for developing the other.

I have recently written an article on this very topic,The-Reasons Why Periodontal Disease and Diabetes Are Interrelated.

When I am seeing a diabetic patient (whether for the first time or subsequent visits) an in-depth screening of both the soft and hard tissue of the mouth is performed. This is to make sure that oral disease of any kind, such as gingivitis or periodontitis is well-controlled, as any exacerbation of these infections can also make managing your blood sugar difficult. As well, diabetic patients usually benefit from having shortened intervals between their dental hygiene maintenance appointments so as to remove bacterial biofilm (layers of bacteria under the gumline) and prevent an inflammatory process from developing.

To keep your teeth and gums healthy when you are diabetic it is imperative to;

1. Control your blood sugar by eating regular meals/snacks with good proportions of carbohydrates, fats   and protein.

2. Taking blood sugar medications as prescribed your physician

3. Try to get daily exercise to assist with weight maintenace to help with blood sugar control.

4. Monitor your blood sugar at home to ensure they are staying within normal limits

5. Brush, floss and use an anti-bacterial rinse daily to remove bacterial plaque before it can cause inflammation.

So as you can see, keeping your oral cavity well-maintained and healthy can go a long way to keeping the rest of your body healthy, in this case possibly preventing exacerbation of your diabetes.

Please see a dentist if you can so he/she can let you know the condition of your mouth and to assist you in obtaining optimal oral and systemic health.

Regards,

Nathan

3 comments:

  1. Another explanation is that our body is interconnected. The food first passes in our mouth. If we do lack in maintaining good hygiene then, bacteria will start to build up in our mouth. In which case, these bacteria help produce bad cholesterol and go with our bloodstream which sometimes results to heart diseases. This is why we need to be clean from our mouth and to achieve that, we need the help of our mighty dentist. In Los Angeles, although the party never stops, I still make it a point that I brush my teeth two times a day and have my regular checkup just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read this from an article about how can diabetic affect your teeth. In a non-medical terms it explains, patients with diabetes, especially those whose blood sugar levels are not properly controlled are more likely to develop gum (periodontal) disease which will eventually lead to tooth loss. As with any infection, gum disease may cause blood sugar levels to rise and make controlling diabetes that much more difficult. Read more www.all4dentist.com....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice thought about controlling your blood sugar by eating regular meals with a good proportions of carbohydrates, fat and protein. After eating we should always brush and floss our teeth, so it will get cleaned on a regular basis. That's a good practice to share such blogs with each and every individual.

    Regards,
    Dental Studies in Toronto

    ReplyDelete