Want to ask me a dental question? Email: Drnathanhaas@hotmail.com

I will post your questions with answers as I receive them.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Does chewing ice harm my teeth?

Q:

I have a habit of chewing ice, it feels good and relaxes me after a long day. Will this have any long term impact on my teeth? via email Saturday August 21, 2010 from Marsha.

A:

Thanks for the question! Chewing ice can be detrimental to your teeth as it is a repetitive force that is applied to your teeth. Ice a hard substance which when chewed between teeth over time can have the potential to cause small fractures on the tooth surface. These small fractures on the surface of the tooth can over time become larger until a piece of tooth actually fractures off. 

As well, ice is cold thus the temperature change in the mouth may cause existing fillings in the teeth such as composite (white) or amalgam (silver) fillings to contract and when the ice is taken away to once again expand. When this happens repeatedly, the area between the filling and the tooth can become weaker and allow leakage between the tooth which has the potential to irritate the pulp and nerve of the tooth.

I would recommend trying to stop this as it can be harmful to the dentition. As well, I would suggest you seen your physician as repetitive ice chewing can be related to anemia (low iron levels), this is called Pica.

Have a great day!

Nathan Haas

10 comments:

  1. I have a tendency of chewing ice as well. Whenever I order a drink in a restaurant, I'd eat some of the ice, just because it feels good and it gives that quenched feeling after you're done with it. I know I have to stop because it's not going to do any good for my teeth at all. I know that I have an option to have dental implants. St. Petersburg has a lot of dental surgeons who can do that for me. But of course, even if you can pay for the implants, that doesn't stop you from taking care of your teeth. Any dentist in St. Petersburg can give awesome tips like yours anytime during their consultation. It's best that one should follow his or her dentist's instructions for a better dental health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a common doubt which everyone would have. And this is a serious doubt for parents who have their children chewing ice. :) Thanks for sharing the answer here.

    nj dental implants

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post. I always know I can trust a toronto dentist. Which is worse on my teeth, drinking soda or chewing ice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.

    Cosmetic Dentist West Hartford CT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for answering this question, Dr. Haas! My wife has an ice-chewing habit, although she insists that it's just because she enjoys the texture. It's good to get a professional opinion about it from a dentist in Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this information! I love chewing ice too, but if it has a harmful effect on my teeth, I will definitely stop! I have heard dentists in in Toronto are good, but now I believe it! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have a question and answer meetings a lot as a dentist ontario? Thanks for your help and advice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog giving detail knowledge. ToothStuff give dental bridges treatment in Columbia, SC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, Actually chewing an ice can harm your teeth very badly. Dentist in Guelph can provide you tips and techniques to brush your teeth and keep it healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing such a nice information about the side effects of chewing an ice repetitively. It can damage the pulp and make it weaker and allow leakage between the tooth.

    Family Dentist in Toronto

    ReplyDelete