Want to ask me a dental question? Email: Drnathanhaas@hotmail.com

I will post your questions with answers as I receive them.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Why should I consider a dental implant for my newly missing tooth?

Q:

Recently I lost one of my teeth due to a skiing accident this past winter. I fell and ended up hitting my mouth in the process, as a result one of my front top teeth became very loose over a period of 2 weeks. Unfortunately I did not see a dentist during that time period and ended up only seeing one once the tooth was very loose and started to ache upon eating food. I saw an emergency dentist who removed the tooth and made a small denture for me to wear to replace the missing one. I have worn this small denture now for 1 month and I cannot stand it, it moves all over the place and when I eat food gets stuck underneath. As well, I have to take it out at night and I cannot even look at myself in the mirror when it is out because I look funny. I am 34 and I don`t think I want to have this denture for the rest of my life. I have read some stuff about dental implants and dental bridges, but I am not sure which one is right for me.

A:

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your front tooth, it can be traumatic to lose your tooth and the smile you are used to. Thankfully dentistry nowadays can allow you to restore you smile to what it was before your accident.

When deciding whether a dental implant or dental bridge is the right choice for you, we need to look at the circumstances in your mouth. First we need to look at the overall health of your oral cavity-the gums, the bone levels and your teeth surrounding the site where the implant or bridge will go. If your gums and bone levels are healthy then you may be a candidate for either a dental implant of dental bridge. Second I would assess the health of the surrounding teeth, do they have large fillings on them or are they virgin teeth- thost that have not been filled, fractured or damaged previously.

A dental implant in itself can fully replace the missing tooth. Dental implants once placed can fully replicate the tooth you have lost both aesthetically and functionally if good care is taken when placing it into the bone and allowing the healing process to occur (typically 3-6 months). The nice thing about dental implants as well, if they are taken good care of, can last many years to a lifetime. Prior to placing a dental implant, an implant dentist must do a thorough assessment of your bite, bone levels at the site where the implant will be placed and dental impressions. Through this a map is made to guide in the placement of the titanium dental implant through to healing and completion of your dental implant.

Another option is a dental bridge. A dental bridge basically spans the space where the missing tooth is. A dental bridges attaches at both sides to what is called an abutment (the teeth that are present on each side of the space) and in the middle is what is called a pontic (an artificial tooth)which is attached to the abutments. A dental bridge when made well can be aesthetically pleasing but you must remember that since the bridge itself is passive and not held by the bone itself, bone and gum tissue underneath the missing tooth may be lost overtime. If bone and gum loss occur a space may become present that can be obvious when you smile. This does not occur in all cases but is a possiblity.

The most important thing is that you have a thorough examination of your oral cavity and your treatment options explained to you prior to making a decision. I hope I have helped you gain some information so you can make an informed decision.

For more info about dental implants and dental bridges please see the links to my site below,
Dental Implants
Dental Bridges

1 comment:

  1. Good day! Thanks for sharing your tips on dental implants. St. Petersburg's resident dentist told me that I should have one of my tooth replaced with an implant because dentures are not going to be comfortable at a young age. As I've seen in this post, the person who asked the question just confirmed what my dentist in St. Petersburg told me.

    ReplyDelete