Want to ask me a dental question? Email: Drnathanhaas@hotmail.com

I will post your questions with answers as I receive them.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Should I avoid dentistry while I am pregnant?

Q:
via email April 9, 2010 from Yasmin J

I am 8 weeks pregnant and I am wondering when I can get my teeth cleaned as I have noticed that my gums are bleeding and sore. My last dental cleaning was over 1 year ago so I am definitely due.

A:

Thank you for your question Yasmin and congratulations on your pregnancy! Dental care during your pregnancy is very important both for yourself and for your baby. Typically my personal recommendation is as minimal dental treatment possible within the first trimester when the fetal organ's are developing. While dental treatment may not harm this development, it is best to limit potential risk. I recommend dental treatment be done in the second trimester and third if need be (after fetal development is complete). Dental treatment in these latter trimesters should allow for flexibility of movement for the mother as laying on the back for an extended period of time can place pressue on the interior vena cava, so movement during the appointment is necessary.

A dental cleaning in the second trimester and a subsequent one prior to the birth of the baby is important to remove bacterial plaque and tartar to help prevent pregnancy gingivitis-pregnancy hormones and increased blood flow cause the gums to become increasingly sensitive to bacterial plaque, thus inflammation of the gums occurs. Brushing and flossing at home to remove the bacterial plaque is vital to maintaining a healthy mouth during pregnancy, while visiting the dentist assists in  removal of both bacterial plaque and tartar both above and below to prevent gingivitis and allowing it to heal.

Pregnancy and your teeth

X-rays are normally not taken during a check-up at your dentist while pregnant so being aware of any warning signs of dental problems is very important, for example a new area of sensitivity, ache/pressure or bad taste/pus should be thoroughly checked to ensure no dental issues are occurring.

Great question, thank you!

Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment