Want to ask me a dental question? Email: Drnathanhaas@hotmail.com

I will post your questions with answers as I receive them.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

I have a bad taste in my mouth, could it be from my teeth?

Q.

Via email Fri. January 14, 2010
For the last 2 months I have had a bad taste in my mouth that pretty much lingers all the time. My teeth do not hurt, but I have not been to the dentist in 2 years (due to nervousness) so I am not sure if something is going on or not. Can the bad taste be from something other than my teeth?

A.

Thank you for the question. This is a very broad question and I will answer it, but since I have not examined your mouth I cannot comment on your exact situation.

The bad taste can be from a variety of situations. First off, if you had not had your teeth cleaned for awhile it could be from the accumulation of plaque and calculus (tarter) underneath your gumline. When deposit accumulates as such bacteria and food debris above and underneath the gumline overtime it can start to develop an odor/taste, this is both because it could be starting to
cause gum inflammation (gingivits) and if left to proceed can develop into periodontitis (inflammation of both the gum tissue and destruction of the bone underneath the gums). Obviously when a disease process is going on and left unattended to, overtime this can cause a bad odour or taste in the mouth.

A bad taste in the mouth may also be an indicator of an infection going on with one of your teeth. Overall, an infection of the tooth may in turn produce pus which can give you a bad taste. Sometimes even without obvious discomfort or pain, a tooth may develop a chronic infection that produces pus. This is why dental exams and xrays are important to rule out infections/diseases of the mouth.

Lastly, systemic illnesses or medications may cause a bad taste in your mouth. Problems with digestion, reflux or stomach diseases can cause a bad taste in the mouth. As well, many medications that we take have side effects, one of the most common side effect of them is dry mouth. When the mouth is dry or drier that usual the mouth is not cleansed because their is insufficient saliva produced. Saliva is very important in keeping our mouth clean, via washing food particles down our stomach so they do not accumulate in our mouths.

So as you can see this question has many answers. I would do a full investigation into what is causing the bad taste in your mouth, see a dentist and dental hygienist for a full examination and cleaning followed by a visit to your family physician to rule out other issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment